While vinyl replacement windows and doors require very little maintenance, there are some steps you should occasionally take to ensure that your window and door products continue to operate as efficiently as possible. Proper window and door maintenance also protects your manufacturer’s warranty, which could potentially be voided if you are negligent in maintaining your replacement windows and doors.
There are five key ways to keep your windows and doors in top condition:
Window Frame Cleaning
Windows frames should be cleaned every six months, or more often if you live in a particularly dusty area of Southern California. Here are the recommended steps for cleaning window frames:
- Vacuum all loose dirt from the sill and track
- Wash frames with a non-abrasive sponge or cloth with a mixture of dish soap and water
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water and wipe dry
Window Drainage System Maintenance
Vinyl replacement windows have what are known as “weep holes” on their exterior frames that facilitate drainage so water does not accumulate in the sill or track areas during rainstorms. These holes must be kept free of debris in order to work properly.
- Clean out weep holes with a small, soft bottle brush
- Check that weep holes are functioning properly by pouring a small amount of water into the corner of the window track. If the water is able to escape through the weep hole, it is clear.
- A small amount of water in the track during a storm is normal, as long as it does not continue to rise or remain in the track after the storm is over
Glass Cleaning and Care
Keep your replacement windows and doors looking their best and avoid damage by using these recommended cleaning techniques:
- Wash glass with a mixture of dish soap and water using a rag or soft brush. Avoid using abrasive cleansers.
- Clean glass with ammonia-free products.
- Never use caustic chemicals or petroleum-based products on your windows.
- Never use a razor blade or other sharp object to clean your windows, as glass is easily scratched. If you need to remove paint from the glass surface, try this method: Boil a mixture of one part vinegar and one part water. Carefully dip a clean rag in the hot mixture and rub on the paint—slowly at first, and then more vigorously once the paint starts to loosen.
- Use extreme caution when rinsing windows with high-pressure spray nozzles.
Screen Cleaning and Repair
Window screens are easy to clean. Simply remove the screen and wash it on a clean, flat surface using a soft brush dipped in a mixture of dish soap and water. Rinse with clean water, wipe dry, and reinstall.
Should you get a tear in your screen or if the frame becomes bent, you can purchase DIY repair kits from most home improvement stores, or you can call one of the many mobile screen repair companies in Southern California to do the repairs for you.
Preventing Condensation and Mold
It is not difficult to avoid condensation and mold in replacement windows in Southern California, as the climate is relatively dry, but for coastal areas with higher humidity, it can helpful to do the following to reduce the amount of moisture inside your home:
- Check that all windows and doors seal tightly, and repair any that don’t maintain an airtight seal.
- Open windows and doors when the weather permits.
- Use ceiling fans to help circulate the air.
- Use exhaust fans in bathrooms when showering or bathing.